Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sewing While Moving - Now Without Pictures!!

With Real Life intruding on my precious precious time for sewing, I admittedly haven't made a ton of new things.  Also, when just about every bit of living space is stacked with boxes or piles of your family's belongings, you're seriously undermotivated to pose.*

*Not to mention the perma-frazzled look one tends to get in these situations isn't exactly Vogue-ready.


Thus far I've made the tank dress version of McCall's 6744, and have received a LOT of compliments on it.  As in, the kind of compliments that give you a complex about what you've been wearing this whole time up till now.  I added an inch and a half to the waist, though I could probably omit that in the back and just grade it.  The important thing I learned while wearing the dress is that a full coverage bra isn't the best suited for the design.  Go demi cup, or go raise the neckline a bit before cutting. 



One of the Most Important Items has been a modification of the leggings from McCall's 7122.  As anyone whose body structure and musculature were never designed to have a "thigh gap" knows, or if you've ever had a Marilyn moment when walking down the street on a windy day, bike shorts are your best friend when wearing skirts and dresses.  The Big 4 didn't disappoint, so I got to vanity size myself down a size when cutting.  And then took it in some more.  I did make a tracing of the pattern, which I know will have further alterations down the line.  The pattern is simple enough that I didn't bother looking at the instructions.*

*I'm not even going to bother with pictures.  Bike shorts are mainly functional, but YAWN.


A closet hole that became readily apparent after slogging through the oven that is our city's downtown while wearing denim and polyester (on more than one occasion, might I add), is the need for summer weight pieces in natural fabrics.  So I made a self-drafted tiered skirt out of cotton gauze.  Considering it's basically all a series of gradated rectangles all stitched together, it's almost a no-brainer project.  I did draft in and sew a lining to protect my underwear's modesty.*

*It's so self-conscious.


So that's my update on recent projects (that I can't be bothered to take pictures of right now), what about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment